Delaware voter registration guide
Last updated: May 20, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Delaware.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Delaware voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 24 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 24 days before Election Day
- Online: 24 days before Election Day
Delaware voter registration rules
To register in Delaware you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a permanent resident of Delaware
- be at least 18 years old on the date of the next general election
- not be mentally incompetent
- if you are a felon, you are eligible to vote as long as you have served your sentence (including parole) and your convictions were not for disqualifying felonies: murder and manslaughter (except vehicular homicide), sexual offenses, or crimes against public administration involving bribery or improper influence or abuse of office
Register to vote online in Delaware
You will need either a Delaware ID or your Social Security number to use Delaware's online voter registration system. If you choose not to provide this information, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Delaware
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Provide your Delaware driver’s license number or nonoperating identification number. If you do not either of these numbers, provide the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you do not have any of these numbers, please write “NONE” on this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 24 days before Election Day
Double-check your Delaware voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Delaware registration using the Delaware voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Delaware?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Delaware elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
State of Delaware
Office of the State Election Commissioner
905 S. Governors Ave., Suite 170
Dover, DE 19904