Connecticut voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Connecticut.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Connecticut voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 7 days before Election Day
- Online: 7 days before Election Day
Connecticut voter registration rules
To register in Connecticut you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Connecticut and of the town in which you wish to vote
- be 17 years old. You can vote when you turn 18.
- have completed confinement and parole if previously convicted of a felony
- not currently be declared mentally incompetent to vote by a court of law
Register to vote online in Connecticut
You will need a Connecticut ID to use Connecticut's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Connecticut ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Connecticut
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Connecticut Driver's License Number, or if none, the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Connecticut has a closed primary system. You must register with a politcal party if you wish to vote in that party's primary elections.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 7 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Connecticut
Double-check your Connecticut voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Connecticut registration using the Connecticut voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Connecticut?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Connecticut elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Secretary of State
30 Trinity Street
Hartford, CT 06106