Connecticut voter registration guide
Last updated: July 30, 2020
Check your Connecticut voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Connecticut registration using the Connecticut voter registration lookup tool.
If you're not registered to vote, or you need to update your voter registration information, follow the instructions below.
Connecticut voter registration deadlines
- Online deadline: 7 days before Election Day
- By-mail deadline: Postmarked 7 days before Election Day
- In-person deadline: Election Day
Connecticut voter registration rules
To register in Connecticut you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Connecticut and of the town in which you wish to vote
- be 17 years old. You can vote when you turn 18.
- have completed confinement and parole if previously convicted of a felony
- not currently be declared mentally incompetent to vote by a court of law
Register to vote online in Connecticut
You can register to vote online if you have a Connecticut driver's license or state ID card. If not, you can still register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote by mail in Connecticut
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Connecticut Driver's License Number, or if none, the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Connecticut has a closed primary system. You must register with a politcal party if you wish to vote in that party's primary elections.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 7 days before Election Day
Register to vote in person in Connecticut
- Contact your local election office to find exactly where to go register to vote in person.
- Bring your Connecticut driver's license or state ID card with you. If you don't have one, bring ONE photo ID that shows your name, and ONE document that shows your name and Connecticut address. Acceptable documents include a utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, residential lease, or any government document that shows your name and address.
Local election office
Contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote in Connecticut.
Statewide election office
This is the statewide agency that is ultimately responsible for Connecticut elections. You can contact them with questions, but your local election office will probably respond faster.
Secretary of State
30 Trinity Street
Hartford, CT 06106