Colorado voter registration guide
Last updated: June 2, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person.
- You can register to vote online in Colorado.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Colorado.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
- Military and overseas voters follow a different process.
Colorado voter registration deadlines
- In-person: Election Day
- By-mail: Received 8 days before Election Day
- Online: 8 days before Election Day
Colorado voter registration rules
To register in Colorado you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a resident of Colorado 22 days prior to Election Day;
- be 18 years old on or before Election Day; and
- not be serving a sentence of detention, confinement, or parole for a felony conviction.
Register to vote online in Colorado
You will need a Colorado ID to use Colorado's online voter registration system. If you do not have a Colorado ID, you can still register to vote by mail.
Register to vote by-mail in Colorado
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Provide your Colorado driver’s license number or identification number. If you do not have either of these numbers, provide the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you do not have any of these numbers, write "NONE" in this space.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: You may register with a party. If you leave this section blank you will not be registered with any party.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be received 8 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Colorado
Double-check your Colorado voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Colorado registration using the Colorado voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Colorado?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Colorado elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Colorado Secretary of State
1700 Broadway, Suite 200
Denver, CO 80290