Alaska voter registration guide
Last updated: July 10, 2020
- You can register to vote in-person in Alaska.
- You can register to vote online in Alaska.
- You can register to vote by-mail in Alaska.
- If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time on Election Day.
Alaska voter registration deadlines
- In-person: 30 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day
- Online: 30 days before Election Day
Alaska voter registration rules
To register in Alaska you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be at least 18 years old within 90 days of completing your registration;
- be a resident of Alaska;
- not be a convicted felon (unless unconditionally discharged); and
- not be registered to vote in another state.
Register to vote online in Alaska
You can register to vote online if you have an Alaska driver's license or state ID card that shows your current address. If not, you can still register to vote by mail or in person.
Register to vote in Alaska
- Review the “Voter registration rules” section above and check that you're eligible.
- Download and fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Box 6 - ID Number: Enter your Alaska driver’s license or Alaska State Identification card number. If you don't have one, enter the last 4 digits of your social security number. If you don't have any of these numbers, write “NONE” in the box.
- Box 7 - Choice of Party: Alaska has a closed primary system. If you do not register for a political party, you will not be able to vote in that party's primary.
- Box 8 - Race or Ethnic Group: Leave blank.
- Print, date, and sign the form. If you do not have a printer, you can print the form out at any local library. If you do not have a stamp, you can buy one from any grocery store: just ask the cashier to sell you one.
- Mail your voter registration form to the mailing address below. For faster delivery, send the form directly to your local election office.
- Your voter registration form must be postmarked 30 days before Election Day
Register to vote on Election Day in Alaska
Double-check your Alaska voter registration status
If you can't remember if you're registered to vote, or you want to make sure your information is correct, you can check your Alaska registration using the Alaska voter registration lookup tool.
Need help registering to vote in Alaska?
Your local election office is responsible for running elections in your area. You should contact your local election office if you have questions about registering to vote. Mail your voter registration form to your local election office for faster processing.
State election office
This is the state-wide agency that is ultimately responsible for Alaska elections. You can mail your voter registration form to this address. For faster processing, mail your form to your local election office.
Division of Elections
State of Alaska
PO Box 110017
Juneau, AK 99811‐0017