Maine absentee ballot guide
Last updated: June 25, 2020
- In Maine, you can apply for an absentee ballot online, by-mail , or in-person.
Absentee ballot deadlines
- In-person: 5 days before Election Day
- By-mail: Received 5 days before Election Day
- Online: 5 days before Election Day
- Voted absentee ballots are due: Received by Election Day
Who can vote by absentee ballot in Maine
Any registered Maine voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
Apply online (recommended)
- You can apply for an absentee ballot online in Maine.
- We recommend this option, since it is faster than applying by-mail or in-person.
- The deadline to apply online is: 5 days before Election Day.
Apply by-mail or in-person
- Download and fill out the Maine absentee ballot application.
- Sign and date your form.
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form directly to your local election office. You should submit your form as soon as possible, but no later than the deadline.
- The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot by-mail is: Received 5 days before Election Day.
- The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot in-person is: 5 days before Election Day.
Your absentee ballot should arrive within a week of your application. If it doesn’t arrive, call your local election office and follow up.
Once your ballot arrives
- Once you receive your absentee ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed absentee ballot to your local elections office. Your ballot must be received by the deadline or it will not be counted.
- Your voted absentee ballot must be received by Election Day.
Confused? Need help?
Contact your local elections office if you have any questions about absentee ballots in Maine.